Heritage, Museums & Archaeology
Factors to consider when thinking about a career in Heritage and Museum Work:
- sector consists of national organisations such as CADW, English Heritage, National Trust, National and Independent Museums and galleries, Local Authority Heritage departments, privately owned historic houses and heritage centres and archaeological trusts and research units.
- roles include Archaeologist, Conservators, Creative jobs (such as designer and photographer), Curators or keepers that look after the collections, Development Officers (responsible for museum fundraising), Documentation Officers (keeping accurate information about museum objects), Education Officers, Exhibition Officers (responsible for museum exhibitions and displays), Museum/Gallery Assistants, Visitor Services staff, Heritage Manager, Historic Buildings Inspectors etc.
- these roles often require a mixture of specific and generic skills
- relevant postgraduate qualifications and volunteering experience are often required when applying for professional level roles within the sector.
The sections below give you links to information on specific career areas – work activities, related professional bodies, employers/job search and other relevant information.
Employers and vacancy sources
- Our Jobs Board – search vacancies posted by employers or set up job alerts via the Jobs Board or Career Account apps. Also tweeted via @CardiffCareers